How to Legally Change Your Name

There are many reasons to want to change a name and it can be accomplished on your own at little cost, but it's essential your follow your state's name change laws. Each state has its own statutes for the name changing process, which vary by state. US Legal Forms offers a state-specific, top quality forms to change your name in your state, as well as name changing packages and notification packages. Some common reasons for needing a form to change name records include:

  • Passport name change - A passport change of name is important to make sure your identification cards display the proper identification when traveling out of the country. Name change on passport records can be accomplished by mail, rather than in person, when you have a court order.

  • Name change after marriage - A person often wants to know how to change the last name after marriage, due to adopting the spouse's last name.

  • DMV name change - A drivers license is often used to verify your identity with various entities, so it's important to notify the DMV of changing your name.

  • Name change for social security card - A social security name change requires an original or certified copy of the court order legal name change document.

We will examine the issues involved in changing a name below.

Where Do You Change Your Name?

The forms to change name must be filed at the civil courthouse where the person resides. If a parent is seeking a name change of a minor, the name change form needs to be filed where the child resides. Where to change name after marriage will depend on where you reside, not where you were married. After getting a name change order, a copy can be submitted to the appropriate entity, such as the DMV, bank, employer, credit card issuer, tax agency, Social Security Administration, school, passport agency, etc.

Reasons for Changing a Name

Changing your name can be sought for many reasons, such as personal preference, adoption, or desire to change last name after marriage. The exact procedure will vary according to where you reside, but generally, the court will allow a name change as long as the motives are proper. In some states, a name change affidavit will be required, stating that the name changing process isn't being used to defraud creditors, conduct illegal acts, etc. The name sought shouldn't be considered obscene or confused with a famous or trademarked name. In the case of changing the name of a minor, the court will consider what is in the child's best interest.

Related Topics

Other Name Change Forms: Marriage name change forms. | Change your name after a divorce

Learn more by using our Name Change Questionnaire

Gold Award 2006-2018

BEST Legal Forms Company

11 Year Winner in all Categories:
Forms, Features, Customer Service
and Ease of Use.

U.S. Legal Forms, Inc. BBB Business Review

Our Customers Believe!

"You have an excellent service and I will be sure to pass the word."

U.S. Legal Forms, Inc. BBB Business Review