Wyoming Small Claims Forms - Small Claims Court Wyoming

Wyoming Small Claims Court FAQ Small Claims Court

Who hears the claims in small claims court?

In small claims court, the trial is an informal hearing before a judge. There is no jury and the plaintiff presents his or her evidence and witnesses. The defendant is also responsible for presenting his or her witnesses. After hearing both sides of the dispute, the judge will render a verdict based on the law and the facts presented.

Who may file a claim in small claims court?  An individual, partnership or corporation (or LLC) may file a claim against another individual(s), partnership or corporation (LLC) in small claims court, if jurisdiction exists to hear the claim, if the amount of the claim does not exceed the statutory limits.

What must I do before I file a claim?  Before you file a claim, get the facts straight so you can complete the forms correctly and answer any questions court personnel may need to know. Be sure to obtain the correct legal name of the defendant, correct address and place/address of employment. If the defendant is a corporation or LLC you would use the legal corporate or LLC name as the defendant. 

How do I file a claim?  The plaintiff or the plaintiff's attorney should go to the small claims division of the district court in the particular county where the person or business to be sued has an office or is domiciled and file a Statement of  Claim Form. The plaintiff is responsible for furnishing the court with the correct and complete address of the defendant. The clerk will assign the plaintiff a case number and this number must be used whenever contacting the court concerning the particular case. A filing fee is required at the time the claim is filed. If the plaintiff cannot afford to prepay the fee at the time of the filing, he or she can submit an Affidavit of Substantial Hardship and request that the judge delay the payment. 

Who serves the defendant with summons or process and how is the defendant served?  The clerk of the court will issue a summons ordering the defendant to appear in court. The summons and the complaint must be served on the defendant. The summons and the complaint may be served by certified or registered mail. If the court provides this service, there may be an additional fee. If the defendant cannot be served using these methods, the precinct constable or any registered private process server will serve the summons and complaint for a fee. 

How are hearings scheduled? The clerk of the court will provide you with the procedure to set the case for trial or hearing at the time you file your claim. 

May I subpoena witnesses? If witnesses are required, but unwilling to attend the hearing unless they are subpoenaed, you may obtain a subpoena issued by the court clerk for service on the witness. The subpoena is an order for the witness to appear at the hearing to testify. Some employer may require that an employee be subpoenaed in order to be excused from work. 

What are the trial procedures? The trial procedure is generally more informal than other courts. The case will usually be called in open court and you will respond that you are present and ready to proceed. You will then be advised when to present your claim. Be prepared to present your claim in your own words. Be prepared to question witnesses if witnesses are needed. 

What happens if the defendant does not appear at trial?  If the defendant does not appear at trial, a default judgment will be entered in the plaintiff's favor for the amount of the claim or other relief. After judgment is obtained and the appeal time has expired, the plaintiff may seek to collect the judgment by acceptable means of collection. 

What are the common forms used in small claims court?  Common forms used in small claims court are:

  • Claim Statement/Complaint
  • Summons
  • Return of Summons
  • Answer
  • Subpoena
  • Abstract of Judgment

What Is a Small Claims Court?

A small claims court is a special kind of court where people can resolve minor disputes without the need for expensive lawyers or complicated legal procedures. In Wyoming, a small claims court is available to help individuals settle disagreements or recoup small amounts of money, usually under $7,000. It provides a low-cost and simplified process for people to present their case, without the need for extensive legal knowledge. The court allows individuals to represent themselves and present evidence to support their claim. It aims to offer a fair and accessible way for people to resolve smaller disputes efficiently.

Why File a Small Claims Case?

Filing a small claims case can be a helpful option for resolving disputes, especially in Wyoming. If you find yourself in a disagreement with someone over money issues or property damages, filing a small claims case allows you to seek a resolution without the need for hiring a lawyer or going through a lengthy court process. It is a way to present your side of the story and have a judge listen to both sides before making a decision. In Wyoming, small claims cases have a maximum claim amount of $6,000, making it a suitable avenue for resolving smaller disputes in a straightforward and cost-effective manner. Whether you are dealing with a landlord-tenant issue, a contractor dispute, or a disagreement with a neighbor, filing a small claims case in Wyoming gives you an opportunity to get your grievances heard and potentially obtain a fair resolution.

Small Claims Court Limits for Each State

Small claims court limits vary from state to state, meaning that there is a maximum amount of money that can be sought in these courts. In Wyoming, the limit for small claims court is $6,000. This means that if you have a dispute or claim involving an amount below $6,000, you can file your case in small claims court. However, if your claim exceeds this limit, you may need to pursue your case in a higher court or seek legal advice. It's important to understand the specific limits in your state to ensure you are within the right jurisdiction for your case.

Small Claims Demand Letter Example

A Small Claims Demand Letter is a written request sent by an individual in Wyoming to another party, asking for a resolution to a dispute or disagreement in a small claims court. This letter is an initial step before filing a formal lawsuit and aims to inform the other party about the problem and seek a fair solution. It is important to clearly state the facts of the case, provide evidence, and present a reasonable demand for compensation or resolution. By sending a Small Claims Demand Letter, individuals in Wyoming can attempt to resolve legal disputes efficiently and fairly without the need for a lengthy court process.

Filing a Small Claims Case in 5 Steps

Filing a small claims case in Wyoming involves five simple steps. Firstly, gather all the necessary information and evidence related to your case, such as contracts, receipts, or photographs. Then, find the correct county courthouse where you need to file your case by checking Wyoming's court website or contacting the court clerk's office. Fill out the required forms accurately, providing all the details of your case. After that, submit your completed forms to the court clerk, paying the required filing fee, usually around $50. Finally, you will receive a court date and should prepare to present your side of the case with your evidence and witnesses in front of the judge. Always remember to review the court rules and be punctual and respectful during the entire process.