Oklahoma Small Claims Forms - Small Claims Court Oklahoma Forms

Oklahoma Small Claims Court FAQ Oklahoma Small Claim Court

Who hears the claims in small claims court?

In small claims court, the trial is an informal hearing before a judge. There is no jury and the plaintiff presents his or her evidence and witnesses. The defendant is also responsible for presenting his or her witnesses. After hearing both sides of the dispute, the judge will render a verdict based on the law and the facts presented.

Who may file a claim in small claims court?  An individual, partnership or corporation (or LLC) may file a claim against another individual(s), partnership or corporation (LLC) in small claims court, if jurisdiction exists to hear the claim, if the amount of the claim does not exceed the statutory limits.

What must I do before I file a claim?  Before you file a claim, get the facts straight so you can complete the forms correctly and answer any questions court personnel may need to know. Be sure to obtain the correct legal name of the defendant, correct address and place/address of employment. If the defendant is a corporation or LLC you would use the legal corporate or LLC name as the defendant. 

How do I file a claim?  The plaintiff or the plaintiff's attorney should go to the small claims division of the district court in the particular county where the person or business to be sued has an office or is domiciled and file a Statement of  Claim Form. The plaintiff is responsible for furnishing the court with the correct and complete address of the defendant. The clerk will assign the plaintiff a case number and this number must be used whenever contacting the court concerning the particular case. A filing fee is required at the time the claim is filed. If the plaintiff cannot afford to prepay the fee at the time of the filing, he or she can submit an Affidavit of Substantial Hardship and request that the judge delay the payment. 

Who serves the defendant with summons or process and how is the defendant served?  The clerk of the court will issue a summons ordering the defendant to appear in court. The summons and the complaint must be served on the defendant. The summons and the complaint may be served by certified or registered mail. If the court provides this service, there may be an additional fee. If the defendant cannot be served using these methods, the precinct constable or any registered private process server will serve the summons and complaint for a fee. 

How are hearings scheduled? The clerk of the court will provide you with the procedure to set the case for trial or hearing at the time you file your claim. 

May I subpoena witnesses? If witnesses are required, but unwilling to attend the hearing unless they are subpoenaed, you may obtain a subpoena issued by the court clerk for service on the witness. The subpoena is an order for the witness to appear at the hearing to testify. Some employer may require that an employee be subpoenaed in order to be excused from work. 

What are the trial procedures? The trial procedure is generally more informal than other courts. The case will usually be called in open court and you will respond that you are present and ready to proceed. You will then be advised when to present your claim. Be prepared to present your claim in your own words. Be prepared to question witnesses if witnesses are needed. 

What happens if the defendant does not appear at trial?  If the defendant does not appear at trial, a default judgment will be entered in the plaintiff's favor for the amount of the claim or other relief. After judgment is obtained and the appeal time has expired, the plaintiff may seek to collect the judgment by acceptable means of collection. 

What are the common forms used in small claims court?  Common forms used in small claims court are:

  • Claim Statement/Complaint
  • Summons
  • Return of Summons
  • Answer
  • Subpoena
  • Abstract of Judgment

What Is a Small Claims Court?

A small claims court is a special kind of court where regular people can go to resolve their legal disputes in a quick and inexpensive way. In Oklahoma, a small claims court works similarly to other states. It can deal with cases involving things like unpaid rent, repair disputes, or small amounts of money owed. In Oklahoma, the maximum amount you can claim in small claims court is $10,000, which is the highest in the United States. It gives people an accessible way to resolve their disagreements without needing to hire expensive lawyers or go through a complex and lengthy legal process.

Why File a Small Claims Case?

Filing a small claims case can be a helpful way to resolve disputes and seek justice for small losses. In Oklahoma, filing a small claims case can be a good option because it is more affordable and less complex than going through a regular court process. It is designed for individuals, like you and me, to resolve legal issues without hiring an attorney or dealing with extensive legal jargon. Small claims cases in Oklahoma also have a higher chance of being resolved quickly, allowing you to save time and money. So, if you have a simple legal problem and want a straightforward and accessible way to resolve it, filing a small claims case in Oklahoma could be the best choice for you.

Small Claims Court Limits for Each State

Small Claims Court limits vary in each state and are determined by the maximum amount of money someone can claim in a small claims case. For example, in Oklahoma, the maximum limit is $10,000, which means that if you have a dispute involving money or property and the amount you are seeking does not exceed $10,000, you can file a claim in the Small Claims Court. It is important to keep in mind that these limits are set to make the process accessible and efficient for individuals seeking resolution for smaller disputes without involving the regular court system.

Small Claims Demand Letter Example

A small claims demand letter in Oklahoma is a written request sent by an individual who believes they are owed money or have suffered damages. This letter is a simple and straightforward way to resolve disputes without going to court. It explains the problem, the desired outcome, and a deadline for the recipient to respond or take action. By using clear language and stating the facts, a small claims demand letter in Oklahoma gives the recipient the opportunity to address the issue and avoid potential legal action.

Filing a Small Claims Case in 5 Steps

Filing a small claims case in Oklahoma can be done in five simple steps. First, gather all the necessary information related to your case, such as evidence, receipts, and any relevant documents. Second, identify the correct court to file your case based on the amount in dispute. Third, complete the required forms, which can usually be found on the court's website or obtained in person. Fourth, pay the necessary filing fees, which vary depending on the amount being claimed. Lastly, submit your completed forms and any supporting documents to the court clerk, keeping copies for yourself. By following these steps, you can easily file a small claims case in Oklahoma.