Nevada Small Claims Forms - Nevada Small Claims Court Forms

Nevada Small Claims Court FAQ Las Vegas Small Claims Court Forms

Who hears the claims in small claims court?

In small claims court, the trial is an informal hearing before a judge. There is no jury and the plaintiff presents his or her evidence and witnesses. The defendant is also responsible for presenting his or her witnesses. After hearing both sides of the dispute, the judge will render a verdict based on the law and the facts presented.

Who may file a claim in small claims court?  An individual, partnership or corporation (or LLC) may file a claim against another individual(s), partnership or corporation (LLC) in small claims court, if jurisdiction exists to hear the claim, if the amount of the claim does not exceed the statutory limits.

What must I do before I file a claim?  Before you file a claim, get the facts straight so you can complete the forms correctly and answer any questions court personnel may need to know. Be sure to obtain the correct legal name of the defendant, correct address and place/address of employment. If the defendant is a corporation or LLC you would use the legal corporate or LLC name as the defendant. 

How do I file a claim?  The plaintiff or the plaintiff's attorney should go to the small claims division of the district court in the particular county where the person or business to be sued has an office or is domiciled and file a Statement of  Claim Form. The plaintiff is responsible for furnishing the court with the correct and complete address of the defendant. The clerk will assign the plaintiff a case number and this number must be used whenever contacting the court concerning the particular case. A filing fee is required at the time the claim is filed. If the plaintiff cannot afford to prepay the fee at the time of the filing, he or she can submit an Affidavit of Substantial Hardship and request that the judge delay the payment. 

Who serves the defendant with summons or process and how is the defendant served?  The clerk of the court will issue a summons ordering the defendant to appear in court. The summons and the complaint must be served on the defendant. The summons and the complaint may be served by certified or registered mail. If the court provides this service, there may be an additional fee. If the defendant cannot be served using these methods, the precinct constable or any registered private process server will serve the summons and complaint for a fee. 

How are hearings scheduled? The clerk of the court will provide you with the procedure to set the case for trial or hearing at the time you file your claim. 

May I subpoena witnesses? If witnesses are required, but unwilling to attend the hearing unless they are subpoenaed, you may obtain a subpoena issued by the court clerk for service on the witness. The subpoena is an order for the witness to appear at the hearing to testify. Some employer may require that an employee be subpoenaed in order to be excused from work. 

What are the trial procedures? The trial procedure is generally more informal than other courts. The case will usually be called in open court and you will respond that you are present and ready to proceed. You will then be advised when to present your claim. Be prepared to present your claim in your own words. Be prepared to question witnesses if witnesses are needed. 

What happens if the defendant does not appear at trial?  If the defendant does not appear at trial, a default judgment will be entered in the plaintiff's favor for the amount of the claim or other relief. After judgment is obtained and the appeal time has expired, the plaintiff may seek to collect the judgment by acceptable means of collection. 

What are the common forms used in small claims court?  Common forms used in small claims court are:

  • Claim Statement/Complaint
  • Summons
  • Return of Summons
  • Answer
  • Subpoena
  • Abstract of Judgment

What Is a Small Claims Court?

A small claims court is a special type of court where people can resolve legal disputes over small amounts of money, generally under a certain limit. In Nevada, a small claims court works similarly. It is designed to help individuals and businesses resolve smaller disputes quickly and at a lower cost, without the need for hiring a lawyer. This court allows regular people to present their case to a judge and seek a fair resolution to their problem. It often deals with issues like unpaid debts, property damage, disagreements over services, and other small-scale legal matters.

Why File a Small Claims Case?

Filing a small claims case can be a simple and effective way to resolve disputes or seek compensation when you're dealing with a problem that involves a small amount of money. In Nevada, small claims courts offer a convenient and affordable option for resolving these types of issues. Whether it's a landlord-tenant dispute, a neighbor dispute, or a disagreement with a contractor, small claims court allows you to present your case to a judge and seek a resolution. It saves you time and avoids the need to hire an attorney, making it a convenient and cost-effective solution for many people. So, if you find yourself in a situation where you're owed money or are facing a dispute, don't hesitate to consider filing a small claims case in Nevada.

Small Claims Court Limits for Each State

Small claims court is a legal forum where individuals can resolve disputes for relatively small amounts of money, without the need for an attorney. Each state has specific limits on the maximum amount of money that can be claimed in small claims court. In Nevada, the limit for small claims court is $10,000. This means that if you have a dispute involving an amount of money up to $10,000, you can file a claim in small claims court to try and resolve the issue. It's important to note that these limits can vary from state to state, so it's always a good idea to check the specific regulations in your state before proceeding with a small claims court case.

Small Claims Demand Letter Example

A small claims demand letter is a written document that a person in Nevada can send to someone they believe owes them money or has caused them harm. It is a way to formally demand payment or restitution before taking the matter to court. In simple terms, it's like a letter that says, "Hey, you owe me money, and I want it back!" This letter should include important information like the amount owed, details of the situation, and a set deadline for the person to respond. By using clear and straightforward language in the letter, the sender can make their case in a simple and understandable way.

Filing a Small Claims Case in 5 Steps

Filing a small claims case in Nevada can be done in just five simple steps. First, gather all necessary documents related to your case, such as receipts, contracts, or photographs. Next, determine the correct jurisdiction by finding out which court handles small claims in your area. Then, fill out the required forms, which can usually be obtained online or at the courthouse. Make sure to provide accurate and detailed information about your case. After completing the forms, file them with the clerk at the small claims court and pay the filing fee. Lastly, serve the defendant with a copy of the filed documents, either through mail, in person, or by hiring a professional process server. Following these five steps will help you successfully file a small claims case in Nevada.