Alaska Small Claims Forms - Small Claims Court Alaska

Alaska Small Claims Court FAQ Anchorage Small Claims Court

Who hears the claims in small claims court?

In small claims court, the trial is an informal hearing before a judge. There is no jury and the plaintiff presents his or her evidence and witnesses. The defendant is also responsible for presenting his or her witnesses. After hearing both sides of the dispute, the judge will render a verdict based on the law and the facts presented.

Who may file a claim in small claims court?  An individual, partnership or corporation (or LLC) may file a claim against another individual(s), partnership or corporation (LLC) in small claims court, if jurisdiction exists to hear the claim, if the amount of the claim does not exceed the statutory limits.

What must I do before I file a claim?  Before you file a claim, get the facts straight so you can complete the forms correctly and answer any questions court personnel may need to know. Be sure to obtain the correct legal name of the defendant, correct address and place/address of employment. If the defendant is a corporation or LLC you would use the legal corporate or LLC name as the defendant. 

How do I file a claim?  The plaintiff or the plaintiff's attorney should go to the small claims division of the district court in the particular county where the person or business to be sued has an office or is domiciled and file a Statement of  Claim Form. The plaintiff is responsible for furnishing the court with the correct and complete address of the defendant. The clerk will assign the plaintiff a case number and this number must be used whenever contacting the court concerning the particular case. A filing fee is required at the time the claim is filed. If the plaintiff cannot afford to prepay the fee at the time of the filing, he or she can submit an Affidavit of Substantial Hardship and request that the judge delay the payment. 

Who serves the defendant with summons or process and how is the defendant served?  The clerk of the court will issue a summons ordering the defendant to appear in court. The summons and the complaint must be served on the defendant. The summons and the complaint may be served by certified or registered mail. If the court provides this service, there may be an additional fee. If the defendant cannot be served using these methods, the precinct constable or any registered private process server will serve the summons and complaint for a fee. 

How are hearings scheduled? The clerk of the court will provide you with the procedure to set the case for trial or hearing at the time you file your claim. 

May I subpoena witnesses? If witnesses are required, but unwilling to attend the hearing unless they are subpoenaed, you may obtain a subpoena issued by the court clerk for service on the witness. The subpoena is an order for the witness to appear at the hearing to testify. Some employer may require that an employee be subpoenaed in order to be excused from work. 

What are the trial procedures? The trial procedure is generally more informal than other courts. The case will usually be called in open court and you will respond that you are present and ready to proceed. You will then be advised when to present your claim. Be prepared to present your claim in your own words. Be prepared to question witnesses if witnesses are needed. 

What happens if the defendant does not appear at trial?  If the defendant does not appear at trial, a default judgment will be entered in the plaintiff's favor for the amount of the claim or other relief. After judgment is obtained and the appeal time has expired, the plaintiff may seek to collect the judgment by acceptable means of collection. 

What are the common forms used in small claims court?  Common forms used in small claims court are:

  • Claim Statement/Complaint
  • Summons
  • Return of Summons
  • Answer
  • Subpoena
  • Abstract of Judgment

What is an Eviction Notice?

An eviction notice is a written document given by a landlord to a tenant informing them that they have to move out of the rental property. In Alaska, an eviction notice is also known as a Notice to Quit or Notice to Vacate. This notice is given to tenants for various reasons, such as non-payment of rent, violation of lease terms, or lease expiration. It is an official way to let tenants know that they are no longer allowed to live in the property and must find a new place to live.

Alaska Eviction Notices by Type

In Alaska, when a landlord wants a tenant to move out, they need to provide an eviction notice. There are different types of eviction notices depending on the reason for eviction. One type is the "Pay Rent or Quit" notice, which is given when a tenant fails to pay their rent on time. It gives the tenant a certain period to pay the overdue rent or leave the premises. Another type is the "Cure or Quit" notice, which is used when a tenant violates the terms of the lease agreement. This notice gives the tenant a chance to fix the issue within a specific period. Lastly, there is the "Unconditional Quit" notice, which is given when a tenant commits a severe violation or is causing harm to the property or other tenants. This notice requires the tenant to move out immediately without any opportunity to fix the situation. Eviction notices in Alaska must follow specific rules and procedures to ensure fairness for both tenants and landlords.

Alaska Eviction Laws & Requirements

In Alaska, eviction laws and requirements are in place to protect both tenants and landlords. If a landlord wants to evict a tenant, they must follow specific steps outlined in the law. For example, landlords must provide written notice to tenants indicating the reason for eviction, such as nonpayment of rent or violation of the lease agreement. The notice period can vary depending on the situation, but it is generally 30 days. Landlords are required to file a lawsuit in court if the tenant does not comply with the eviction notice. It's important for landlords to understand these laws and requirements to ensure a fair and legal eviction process in Alaska.

What is the Eviction Process in Alaska?

The eviction process in Alaska is a legal procedure that allows landlords to remove tenants from their rental property. It typically begins with the landlord giving a written notice to the tenant, stating the reason for eviction and a specified time for them to leave. If the tenant does not move out by the specified date, the landlord can file an eviction lawsuit in court. A judge will then review the case and, if the landlord is successful, issue a writ of possession, which allows the tenant to be physically removed from the property by a sheriff. It is important for both landlords and tenants to follow the eviction process according to the law to ensure a fair and legal resolution to any disagreements or issues.

Step 1: Send the notice

Step 1 involves sending a notice, which means you need to let someone know about something important. In Alaska, this step is the same as anywhere else. You just have to take the time to inform the person or people who need to know. Whether it's a neighbor, a colleague, or a friend, sending a notice in Alaska simply means giving them the necessary information in a clear and straightforward way. It might be through a letter, an email, a text message, or even a phone call. Whatever method you choose, the goal is to make sure the recipient understands what you're trying to communicate. So, take a moment to think about how to express your message clearly and simply before sharing the notice with the Alaskan recipient.